Mom's Easy Baklava
- 4 cups walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 packages phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 lemon or lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pulse walnuts in food processor with cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Brush an 11x17-inch metal baking pan with some of the melted butter.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo in the pan; trim edges to fit if needed and brush with butter.
- Repeat layering sheets and brushing butter between each layer of phyllo of one entire package of phyllo dough.
- Then spread 2 1/2 cups of the walnut filling evenlly over the phyllo.
- Top with phyllo sheet and brush with butter between each sheet layering second package of phyllo dough.
- Refrigerate baklava for at least 30 min.
- With small, sharp knife, cut the baklava into diamonds, making sure to cut all the way through to the bottom.
- Bake the baklava for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, combine water with remaining sugar and cook until dissolved. Squeeze half a lime or lemon juice into the mixture as soon as it boils, then immediately turn stove off. Remove the pan from heat and cool completely.
- Pour cold syrup over the baklava as soon as it is removed from the oven. Cool before serving. Enjoy!